Cocoa Energy Bites
Updated: Nov 1, 2019
These bites are easy, vegan, create minimal dishes but most importantly they are delicious. What more can you ask for? Hmmmm maybe a good coffee to go with them.
For breastfeeding mothers, this recipe can be modified to include brewer's yeast and hemp hearts which may be helpful to increase breastmilk production.
½ cup milk or milk alternative
½ cup butter or margarine or vegetable oil (not olive oil since it has a stronger flavour)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons pure cocoa powder
4 cups large flake oats
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
¼ cup hemp hearts (optional – for adding omega 3’s and vitamins plus may be helpful for breast milk production)
2 tablespoons infant cereal (optional – for added iron)
1. In a large pot, bring the first five ingredients to a rolling boil then turn off the heat.
2. Wisk in the cocoa powder until smooth.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir really well.
4. Clean up while you let the mixture sit and cool for about 10 minutes.
5. Lay out parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, scoop the mixture and form a tight ball, then slightly flatten. When the mixture sticks to your hands (and it will), put a little water on your hands before rolling. Note, flattening helps the bites stay together.
6. Repeat for the remaining bites.
7. If any of the cookies break, try to squeeze back together.
8. Let sit for an hour then place in the fridge/freezer until ready to serve.
These freeze and thaw fantastically!