Rainbow Power Bowls
Confession, I am not a huge salad fan. But, I love power bowls because they are warm and filling. Plus the possibilities are endless for add' ins and toppings. Here is my basic recipe but refer to the pictures for inspiration on various other topping combinations.
3 ½ cups cooked quinoa or rice, preferably brown rice
10 slices of chicken/turkey deli meat cut into strips or 2 rotisserie chicken breasts, shredded
1 cup canned beans, any type, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups sliced marinated beets, drained
1 ½ cups pre-packaged vegetable slaw, any type
½ cup unsalted nut or seed, any type
½ cup + 2 tablespoons light dressing, any type or hummus or homemade sesame dressing
Optional ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Warm up the quinoa or rice.
2. Divide the rice between the bowls.
3. Divide the rest of the ingredients between the bowls except for the dressing.
3. Right before serving, drizzle each bowl with about 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
Ingredients for sesame dressing
1/4 cup tahini (can use hummus in a pinch)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, mined (add more to your taste)
1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
1/4 cup hot water
1. Put all the ingredients in a jar. Shake.
2. Store in the fridge.